X60 — Annual Pre-Meeting Congress for Students, Post-Docs, and Early-Career Professionals in Microscopy and Microanalysis
**Organized by the Microscopy Society of America Student Council (StC)**
Saturday, July 22, 2023 • 8:15 AM - 5:00 PM
Separate registration required — Don't forget to check the box while registering for M&M 2023
INCLUDED IN REGISTRATION FEE:
Friday evening social event; breakfast, AM Break, Lunch, PM Break, Saturday evening banquet
PROGRAM CHAIRS: Andres Marquez-Rossy, UT Knoxville and Louisa Mezache, The Ohio State University
PHYSICAL SCIENCES CO-CHAIR: Yifan Wang, Arizona State University
POST-DOC LIAISON: Neerja Zambare, Pacific Northwest National
This pre-meeting congress is organized by and for students, postdocs, and early-career professionals, and provides:
- Technical workshops from leading industry experts
- A forum for students to deliver presentations to peers ahead of the meeting
- Career guidance from established researchers in academia, industry, and national labs
- Overview of career trajectories for postdocs, and tackling the transition between fields
- Mentoring and recruiting opportunities for early-career professionals
- Opportunities to share your research in an engaging, constructive, and interactive setting to practice ahead of the main meeting and win awards
- Expanded professional networking and career development mentoring
Navigating opportunities for your future in science
Submit to the StC image contest! The winner's PMC registration fee will be waived, and their image will be used as the new background on next year's StC flyer
Submission deadline is Friday, July 1st!
Friday, July 21, 2023
|6:00 - 8:00 pm||Welcome Reception at Lakes and Legends Brewery: 1368 Lasalle Ave|
Saturday, July 22, 2023
|8:15 – 9:00 am||Breakfast provided|
|9:00 – 9:30 am||
Andrew Minor, MSA President
Patrick Camus, MAS President
Introduction to MSA StC
Louisa Mezache, StC President
Andres Marquez-Rossy, StC President-Elect
|Student Research Talks|
|9:30 – 10:15 am||Student Research Talks|
|10:15 - 10:30 am||Early Career Professionals Flash Talks|
|10:30 – 11:15 am||Poster Session and Break: refreshments provided|
|Physical Sciences Workshop / Biological Sciences Technical Talks|
|11:15am – 12:15 pm||Technical talks / workshops|
|12:15 – 1:15 pm||Lunch provided|
|Biological Sciences Workshop / Physical Sciences Technical Talks|
|1:15 – 2:15 pm||Technical talks / workshops|
|2:15 – 3:00 pm||Poster Session and Break: refreshments provided|
|3:00 – 5:00 pm||Career Session with group photo to end|
|6:30 - 9:30 pm||Saturday night banquet at Paradise Charter Cruises: 2150 West River Pkwy|
Apply for the PMCx60
he PMCx60 organizers are pleased to offer financial support to qualifying PMCx60 registrants. All PMCx60 registrants are welcome to apply. The awards will be granted primarily on the basis of financial need — those who are unable to attend the PMCx60 without financial aid will be prioritized.
There is a limited number of awards available that will cover costs associated with attending PMCx60 up to $500 to be reimbursed after the meeting. Early Rate registration ends on May 4 and Regular Rate registration ends June 9, so register now!
Submit a poster for PMCx60
We are now accepting submissions to the poster session at PMCx60. This is a great opportunity to showcase your work and practice your presentation in a more informal setting ahead of the main meeting. We will also be offering a number of speaker prizes! If you have any questions feel free to reach out to the PMCx60 chair, Louisa Mezache, email@example.com.
PMCx60 Programming Committee | 2022 – 2023
|Louisa Mezache||The Ohio State University||StC President|
|Andres Marquez-Rossy||University of Tennessee, Knoxville||StC President-Elect|
|Yifan Wang||Arizona State University||Physical Sciences Co-chair|
|Ayanthi Thisera||University of Kentucky||Social Chair|
|Neerja Zambare||Pacific Northwest National Lab||Post-doc Liaison|
A note from the organizers
Thank you for attending this year’s PMCx60! Our mission for this event is to provide an opportunity for students, post-docs, and early career scientists to expand their professional network, share knowledge and learn about different career paths. We welcome attendees from all backgrounds, professional and personal, and hope that this event serves as a fun, energetic start to a productive week at M&M 2023! We would like to acknowledge our generous donors who have contributed to the MSA Student Council during the 2023 membership renewal drive.
Student Networking Opportunities at M&M
- PMCx60 Social* (Friday) and Reception* (Saturday)
- Join us Friday night for appetizers and drinks to kick off the PMCx60! Enjoy the city while catching up with old friends and meeting new people in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.
- Following a day of oral and poster presentations, continue the research discussion into the evening at the Saturday night reception.
- X60 Pre-Meeting Congress* (Saturday)
- Attend the X60 Pre-Meeting Congress for Students, Postdocs, and Early Career Professionals
- MSA Student Mixer (Monday)
- Mingle with your peers at the Student Mixer on Monday. This is a terrific opportunity to meet new colleagues, catch up with old friends, or grab a quick snack and drink with fellow microscopists.
- Social Events
- To keep up with impromptu or informal social events, check the MSA Student Facebook page!
- MSA Student Council meeting (Tuesday)
The Student Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 6th. During the meeting, the Student Council Officers will present the annual report and open the floor for election of officers. Each year MSA student members are nominated and elected for the next year’s Student Council leadership.
*Advance registration required.