The Microscopy Society of America offers several programs to help its Local Affiliated Societies hold successful meetings through the Tour Speaker and Meeting Funding programs. Any active LAS is eligible to apply for one or more of these programs in any given year. Further information can be obtained by contacting the Local Affiliated Society Director.
Tour Speaker Program
MSA will provide traveling expenses for a speaker to attend a LAS meeting annually. There are two categories of MSA/LAS Speakers. The Presidential Speakers consist of the current President, past President, and President-Elect. LAS Sponsored speakers are selected by the LAS representatives at the annual LAS Breakfast held in conjunction with the Microscopy and Microanalysis yearly meeting or by special requests.
- Only one speaker per calendar year is allowable.
- Inform the LAS Director of the speaker, LAS meeting and date. Please be aware that all speaker engagements are to be approved in advance by the LAS Chair if reimbursement from MSA is expected.
- Contact the speaker directly about availability to attend.
- MSA will reimburse the speaker for all roundtrip expenses to attend the meeting after the meeting.
- The LAS is responsible for all onsite expenses such as lodging, local transportation, and meals.
- The speaker and the LAS will co-ordinate all the arrangements for the meeting.
Stipends of up to $650 can be requested by any MSA Local Affiliated Society to help support meeting and LAS expenses. Typical requests are to defray travel expenses for speakers, honoraria, special A/V equipment rental, etc. Each LAS may submit one request during a calendar year, although for availability of funds and budgeting purposes it would be best to submit a request during the first half of the year.
- A letter or email must be sent to the LAS Director from the President or Secretary of the LAS stating how much money is requested and in detail how it will be used.
- Submit an up-to-date financial statement of the LAS's resources, usually a detailed Treasurer's report.
- Provide an electronic version of your current membership list. If possible, identify the people on your membership list who are also MSA members.
Special Meeting Funding Program
Under special circumstances MSA may provide up to $1,500 support for LAS meetings. Examples of these "special" meetings include a symposium of national or international scope, a regional meeting of two or more LASs, a meeting built around a new topic of microscopy-related scientific studies, or a meeting designed to honor outstanding individuals in the field of microscopy. One-of-a kind meetings are more likely to be eligible for support.
Approval for support must come from the LAS Director and the MSA Council. Participating Societies which have received this support during the previous two years will not be eligible.
- A letter or email must be sent to the LAS Director from the President or Secretary of the LAS stating the "special" nature of the meeting, how much money is requested and in detail how it will be used.
- A meeting program as complete as possible.
- A complete budget for the meeting and an up-to-date financial statement of the LAS's resources, usually a detailed Treasurer's report. If more than one LAS is involved, then each must submit a financial statement.
- Provide an electronic version of your current membership list. If possible, identify the people who are also MSA members.