Opportunities for Technologists at M&M 2018!
Win an Award
The Microscopy Society of America (MSA) and the Microanalysis Society (MAS) annually sponsor awards for outstanding papers, posters and micrographs contributed to the Microscopy & Microanalysis (M&M) meeting.
- M&M PTSA Award: Full-time technologists are eligible for the Professional Technical Staff Award (PTSA). The applicant must be a member of the sponsoring society, current in his or her dues for the year of the meeting.
- Diatome Poster Awards: All posters illustrating the use of diamond-knife ultramicrotomy are eligible. Prizes include cash and Swiss watches.
- MAS Best Paper Awards: MAS annually confers awards for papers presented at the M&M meeting deemed to be best in four categories. Each comes with a cash award generously provided by MAS Sustaining Members.
- MSA Micrograph Competition: This competition rewards the innovative blending of art and science. Winning micrographs will be selected on the basis of artistic merit and general audience appeal. The winner of the 2018 Micrograph Competition is featured in the 2019 Call for Papers brochure. A maximum of three (3) awards will be presented; First Prize: $200; Two Second Prizes: $50 each.
Get Involved: MSA Tech Forum
The mission of the Technologists' Forum is to promote those aspects of microscopy of interest to technologists. The Tech Forum is an MSA Committee with representation on Council by a liaison. Activities and benefits of the Tech Forum are available to all MSA members who wish to join. There is no extra fee to be a member of the Tech Forum.
Special Sessions: Technologists' Forum
The scientific program at M&M 2018 includes a Technologists' Forum that typically consists of a Symposium, a Special Topic session and a Roundtable Discussion session, with the proceedings of these sessions published annually. This year at M&M 2018, we will feature:
- a Memorial Symposium in honor of E. Ann Ellis
- a Special Topic Session on "Specimen Preparation for Correlative FIB-SEM and XRM"
- a Roundtable Discussion on "Sample Preparation Strategies for Super-Resolution Correlative Electron Microscopy"
Educational Opportunities with Leading Experts at M&M 2018
- Pre-Meeting Congresses - Saturday and Sunday, August 4 and 5, 2018
- Sunday Short Courses - Sunday, August 5, 2018
- In-conference Tutorials - Monday-Thursday, August 6-9, 2018
- Vendor Tutorials -- Monday-Thursday, August 6-9, 2018
Get the Latest on Equipment and Instrumentation
M&M 2018 features a vendor exposition with hundreds of exhibitor booths featuring on-site instrument demonstrations for all aspects related to microscopy and microanalysis, including sample preparation, analysis equipment, software, etc. On-site training, and tutorials by vendors on equipment are available to all conference attendees throughout the duration of the meeting. Additionally, the M&M scientific program features a Vendor Symposium. This forum lets vendors highlight advances in the development and improvement of their products. It covers new methods and technologies that advance the fields of microscopy and microanalysis for both physical and biological sciences, and provides a forum for exchange of ideas and best practices with conference attendees.
Certification: The CEMT Certification Program
The Microscopy Society of America (MSA), the world's largest professional association of microscopists, provides the only certification of technologists in biological transmission electron microscopy available in the Americas. The program was instituted in 1978 to establish standards for technical skills. In addition to assuring employers that certified technologists are technically proficient, certification can be important in determining job classification, salary level, and potential for advancement or promotion. Many consider certification to be a key benchmark in their professional development. Find out more about this program at the MSA Megabooth at M&M 2018.
Get Involved: MSA Focused Interest Groups
MSA FIGs are groups of MSA members who have organized, with the approval of MSA Council, to promote a specific discipline relevant to microscopy or microanalysis. All MSA members are eligible and encouraged to participate in the existing FIGs. FIGs have business lunch meetings during the M&M 2018 conference.